Visiting a U-Pull It yard can be an exciting and cost-effective way to find auto parts for your vehicle. However, being properly prepared for your trip is crucial to ensure a smooth and productive experience. In this article, we will outline the essential items you should bring with you to Wilbert’s U-Pull It.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Safety should be your top priority when visiting our yard. Therefore, it’s crucial to bring the following personal protective equipment:
- Safety Glasses or Goggles: Protect your eyes from dust, debris, and any potential hazards.
- Heavy-Duty Gloves: These will protect your hands from sharp edges, rust, and dirt.
- Sturdy Footwear: Wear closed-toe shoes or boots with good traction to prevent slips and protect your feet.
- Long Sleeves and Pants: This will help shield your skin from scratches, cuts, and exposure to chemicals or dirt.
While Wilbert’s provides a small array of tools for purchase on-site, it’s a good idea to bring your own for efficiency and convenience. Here are some essential tools you should consider bringing:
- Wrenches and Socket Set: Different sizes of wrenches and sockets will be essential for removing nuts and bolts.
- Screwdrivers: Both flat-head and Phillips-head screwdrivers will come in handy.
- Pliers: Needle-nose pliers and regular pliers can be useful for various tasks.
- Hammer: A small hammer can be useful for tapping or loosening stubborn parts.
- WD-40 or Penetrating Oil: This can help loosen rusted or stuck components.
- Allen Wrench Set: In case you encounter parts secured with hexagonal screws.
Having accurate measurements is crucial, especially if you’re searching for specific parts. Consider bringing:
- Tape Measure: This will help ensure that the parts you select are the right size.
- Calipers: Useful for measuring more precise dimensions, especially for things like brake rotors.
Container for Parts
You’ll need a way to transport the parts you find. Consider bringing:
- Plastic Bags or Ziplock Bags: These are great for smaller components like screws and bolts.
- Cardboard Boxes: They can hold larger parts and prevent them from shifting during transport.
- Tie-downs or Bungee Cords: Secure larger parts to prevent them from moving around while you’re driving.
Fluids and Cleaning Supplies
Inspecting used parts might require some cleaning, and it’s always a good idea to have the following on hand:
- Hand Sanitizer or Wet Wipes: Keep your hands clean, especially after handling parts.
- Degreaser and Cleaning Cloths: These will help you inspect parts more effectively.
- Spray Lubricant: Helps with the removal of stubborn parts.
- Rags or Towels: Useful for wiping down parts or cleaning your hands.
A Pen and Notebook/Phone
Taking notes and making sketches can be incredibly helpful, especially if you’re working on a complex project. Jot down important details like part numbers, measurements, and any special instructions. The vehicle inventory at Wilbert’s can also be accessed online at WUPI.com, in addition to yard maps of all three locations, pricing, and other helpful information.
With the right preparation and tools, a trip to a U-Pull It yard can be a successful and satisfying experience. By bringing personal protective equipment, essential tools, measuring instruments, containers, fluids, and some documentation tools, you’ll be well-equipped to find and safely extract the auto parts you need. Remember to always prioritize safety and follow our guidelines. Happy hunting!